Friday, April 3, 2009

Dear Madelyn Grace (12 months)

For the past month I've been trying to draft out in my head what I would say to you when today got here. Would I be nostalgic and a little bit sad and talk about how quickly you've grown? Would I be funny and recount stories of your charming little personality? Would I be numb and generic because I didn't want to sit at the keyboard crying? Even as I'm typing I still don't really know.
Technically you are still not a year old until 3:46..and that's just how that is. I think back to this time last year and it's about the time that I really started to be in pain, and it was the beginning of the longest day of my life...but that was the day I got the sweetest reward!
Since I've got letters to you for pretty much every month since I went back to work, I guess I don't really need to recount everything....
At one year old...you are 29 1/2 inches tall, and weigh 22lbs and 11oz. You have a intense distain for your Pediatrician..which makes no sense to me b/c I think he's wonderful...but he thinks that your anxiety is right on target...for a 15 month old. You continue to be ahead of the curve.
There is no point in my being 'sad' in this letter...b/c nothing about you is sad. Everything about you is happy. It's like sunbeams and smiles shoot out of the tips of your fingers and toes! I've had people comment that even when you are upset you are still pretty...and the upset generally doesn't last too long.
You wave and you blow kisses.
You laugh and you chase.
You love bubbles.
You walk...some. A bit straight legged and only about 5 steps at a time (more if you are holding onto the wall).
You kiss. Seriously child, you are SUCH a kisser! Mom, Dad, Grandparents, Pets, random people walking down the street (we don't actually let you...)...all kisses..all the time!
Your hair is starting to come in more, and it's getting thicker and longer. Mind you, sometimes we still get the "he's so cute"...but before too long that hair will really show them!
You attended your second funeral the other day...and cracked up the mourners when you started blowing kisses...I really think that your Aunt Connie would have liked it.
You are active. You are curious. You are bashful (when it comes to new people).
You are resistant to reprimand (we really need to work on that one!)

Little lady in red!
Loves to peek and smile!

Check out the hair, getting longer!


Cracking up at Clippity'
I guess if you needed to know in just a few words or sentences about your first year and what it summed up to:
You are loved so much, and you are a happy happy little girl.
And isn't that all that matters?
So Happy First Birthday my Precious Little One...



3 comments:

Stephanie said...

HAPPY HAPPY Birthday Madelyn!!!!

Kristina P. said...

She really is just such a beautiful baby! Happy birthday!

Dianna Gilliam said...

"loved so much" doesn't really begin to touch it does it? More like we all absolutely ADORE our Madelyn Grace and are so thankful for her presence in our lives. What a blessing she has been and continues to be! Happy Birthday to our very own Divine Miss M!