Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Happiness and Hurt

Two feelings that I never really thought went together, but that hit me today like a truck. It's been a good day, I'm not complaining of that...but there are moments. Moments that I am sure every working Mom has experienced..and moments that I pray stay at home Moms never have to endure. The Happiness and Hurt moment.
My Mom (who watches Madelyn for us during the day while we are both working) gave me a call a little while ago to see how my day was going, and to relay a poop story. And it was during that call that the moment hit.

I could hear Maddie cooing and babbling in the background, and when Mom put the phone to Maddie and I said "Hi Baby!" to her..I could hear her respond with a squeal.

It's the feeling of your heart swelling and breaking all at the same time.

It's one thing to hear it (a beautiful thing), but a complete other to be there to see it. And the hurt comes from being away from it and ONLY being able to hear it during the day, and only briefly and over the phone.

I think the love we have for our children is honestly something you cannot put into words.

When I get home in the evenings I hug her a little bit tighter than I probably should since she's still so little...but she doesn't seem to mind.

Let us not confuse the Happiness and Hurt feeling with the Bittersweet "they'll only be little for so long" feeling.

But I think any parent can agree how much both suck.

Madelyn is two months old now, and she gets more amazing everyday.




1 comment:

Aaron and Melissa said...

She is so pretty! Being a mom is bittersweet whether you work or stay home :) I love being at home- but there are definitely times that I wish I still worked- only for short periods of time. Being a mom is hard. But it's the greatest blessing in this life! Just enjoy all the time you can manage to get with her- they do grow up WAY TOO FAST!