This past Saturday we were invited and attended (sans Aaron b/c he had an all day meeting) a Christmas party at our friend's Gary and Schila's home (and oh what a home it was, seriously amazing). I knew that Santa would be in attendance as well. Actually we're close personal friends with Santa, so I was even more nervous that Madelyn would be a 'screamer'.
The time came, and Santa entered the ballroom...sat in the red velvet chair by the massive Christmas tree and children were invited to come sit on his lap and tell him exactly what they wanted for Christmas.
I tried to send him a telepathic message "All I want for Christmas is for Madelyn NOT to freak out when I put her on your lap"
I waited until the other children were finished (there were around 15 I'm guessing). Prior to this Madelyn had been playing with the kids crawl chasing them around the slick hardwood floor...but she patiently sat on my lap and watched the procession of child to Santa's lap.
I'd spoken to Santa about a month ago about the 'best' way to get a good photo op (you back them into Santa, that way you have about a 3 second delay to get a shot until they turn around and freak out).
The ballroom, which had about 100 people in it, hushed when I got up to take her to Santa...makes me feel a little better that I wasn't the ONLY nervous one. I explained to Maddie that we were gonna go see Santa and take a picture, but she didn't look at me, she was locked on him as we approached.
Santa motioned for me to turn her around (to back her in), and when I sat her down on his lap he gave me the direction to move so that Grandpa (who had my camera) could get at least one good shot.
Madelyn is a quick one though, that little head snapped back to see who in fact she was sitting on..and my heart stopped for a second, responsively my arms started to reach out for my baby who I was sure was about to open up a wail that would echo in the halls of the ballroom.
And she laughed. Then Santa laughed. And then she laughed some more and bounced on his lap. And the crowd laughed and clapped for her.
I couldn't have been more proud! So we got lucky this year, and got LOTS of Madelyn and Santa pictures!
Enjoy!









4 comments:
So adorable! I'm glad she didn't freak out. I can understand your concern.
That is so cute. My kids all cried their first Santa experience. I just wanted to check and see if you received your ornament that I sent?
Absolutely darling! Gideon didn't cry last year, he just had that look like... "Mom, what's with this crap on this guys face?"
Could she be any more precious at all? WOW!! I'm glad she enjoyed Santa!
Post a Comment