Monday, March 9, 2009

Something new...

In an effort to expand not only readership perhaps, but expressing myself as well..I'm going to be blogging more. There will still be just as many pictures of Madelyn as you can possibly stand without having to throw up from her insatiable cuteness..but now you get my ramblings as well. I mean come on..I used to write all sorts of newsy and witty posts about visits to the OB office..doesn't anyone miss those? *crickets* No..well ok..anyway...this is a family blog...and you should know about the people you are reading about. You can't have my social security number, or my measurements..but you can have my opinion on things...like..movies, tv, state of the union (ok..maybe not)...so here goes.



Aaron and I have netflix and we love it. I, especially love it. But this isn't to brag on them..it's to brag on this movie. Every now and then I love me a foreign film. No really..I do.
So about this movie...in french-check, subtitled-check. If you have time to watch it and enjoy a good drama...I would.
It's sad but it is sweet. Oh, and the 'folded' look of the movie poster, it's deliberate..and makes sense later on. The main character Juliette has been in prison for 15 years for killing her son (yikes). She gets out and goes to live with her younger sister, who has been 'brainwashed' by her parents to almost believe she was an only child.
The relationship it shows between the sisters really made me wish I had one closer to my age, and also almost makes me want another baby just so Madelyn can have a sibling relationship, almost...but not quite.
Amid the somber tone of the movie, there are some cute points..the fact they call the housekeeper "Katrina" comparing her to the hurricane b/c she breaks things constantly, Lea's (the sister's) adorable vietnamese daughters, and the husband's non-verbal Father..makes the movie sweet.
It finally hits the climax at the very tail end...but it's worth spending almost the whole movie biting your lip in anticipation of what really happened (to the son). At least I thought so....it made me cry (not sobbing, hysterics, but a good tear down the cheek).

If you end up watching it, let me know what you think!


1 comment:

Kristina P. said...

This sounds like a very interesting movie. Even though I have to read. :)