Saturday, May 29, 2010

Double trouble...

This is Madelyn (um, obviously) and Toto...her dog.

Um, not sure how I say this b/c I really hate to admit that I'm surprised by something. I know dogs...I've grown up with them. I've had special connections with dogs..dogs that are 'mine', dogs that I trust, dogs that I don't. I know dogs. But I have never, I repeat NEVER seen a dog like this.
What am I talking about? Well...this dog...this Toto (who was a throw away that we picked up, just like Leroy and Lucy were) LOVES Madelyn and Peter. Now..Lucy (our minpin) loves them too. But Lucy loves them from afar. She doens't like to be picked up or messed with, she'll play with Madelyn, and was protective of her when she was newborn, but not so much now. The big dogs (Tucker, Bertha, and Leroy) play with Madelyn outside and in very supervised moderation b/c they are so large and face level to her. They love her b/c she's a 'toy' to them..
Toto...LOVES Madelyn and Peter.
Madelyn is a toddler, she's two, she's rough, although we ask her, nay, BEG her to be gentle. Pick him up by his head and carry him around? No problem. Drag him across the bed to read a book to him? No problem! Now I'm sure there are dogs out there like Toto..I've just never met one.
He HAS to be near her. The only time he's NOT near her, is when Peter cries b/c he runs to Peter to check things out.
We have a communal bed...the kids sleep with us, as do the house dogs. Lucy sleeps at Aaron's feet. Toto sleeps by Madelyn..HAS to be touching Madelyn. Move him to the end of the bed, he comes right back up to her.

Now this is just me...I know that there are people out there that are anti-pet..but obviously we aren't those people. I'm so happy she has 'her' dog. It's a special bond that everybody deserves to have.
So here's to babies and their dogs...

and why yes...I did have my Mom buy some blue gingham fabric to make a Dorothy dress and yes..we'll have pictures of that soon too! :)

2 comments:

Dianna Gilliam said...

We'll have pictures soon if your mama can manage to actually get the dress made! LOL Toto is a very special little guy for sure and of course we know Madelyn and Peter are special babies!

Aaron and Melissa said...

That's awesome! I had a dog like that when I was little. I haven't met one since... Your kids are lucky to have a dog like that. There is a very special bond that occurs and will be treasured for years!