Friday, June 11, 2010

It's been one week...

*cue Barenaked Ladies song*
See this bowl? See what is INSIDE of this bowl? That's right...popcorn!

Last Friday was a busy day. My parents came over to help me watch the kids while I baked mini-pies for a fund-raiser. Madelyn decided that she wouldn't nap, so I thought we'd watch a movie. I popped in Madagascar (one of her current favorites) and popped us some extra buttery popcorn. Things were going well. We were happily munching. Then Peter woke up. I went to get him, and when I returned to the living room this is how it went:

*Madelyn sitting on couch with popcorn bowl between her legs and finger up her nose*
Suzy: Get your finger out of your nose, that's gross. You'll be smelling butter for the rest of the-*Madelyn cuts her off*
Madelyn: I put popcorn in my nose.
Suzy: No, you didn't. Don't be silly.
Madelyn: *completely calmly* Yes, I did.
Suzy: No, you didn't.
Madelyn: *smiles* Yes, I did.
At this point I sent up a silent plea that she was joking and I fed Peter, resolved that she'd just made it up and that after 15 minutes she'd tell me she was "just kidding".


15 minutes later-
Suzy: Did you really put popcorn in your nose?
Madelyn: Yes.
Suzy: Let me see...
*Madelyn tilts head back"
Suzy: There isn't popcorn in your nose!
Madelyn: I put popcorn in there. *shoves finger WAY up her tiny nose*
Suzy: ok..you stay put, I'm gonna get a flashlight.
*can't find a flashlight..can only find a booklight*
I laid her back on the couch and stuck the booklight under her nose and saw the shiny gold glint of a popcorn kernel.
I had her blow her nose..no luck.
I let her sniff some black pepper...(yes, I really did) and 7 sneezes later..no luck.
I called my Mom and asked her what I was supposed to do-she jumped in the car and headed over.
I called the Pedicatrician's office (which was closed) and had the nurse paged to call me. The nurse who told me that 'anytime they stick something up their nose there is always the chance of them aspirating on it, take her to the ER'.
Aaron called to tell me he was on his way home. I asked him if he just could meet me at the ER.

Our little Kernel...pre ER..but with the popcorn kernel in her nose.


Mom got there and I had her stay with Peter, and I swung by and picked up Ramona(Momo) so in case Madelyn puked on the way down (she still gets carsick alot) I'd have back up.
3 hours in the ER and no luck. We tried (after the Dr finally came in) to plug the clear side of her nose with our finger and blow over her mouth (kinda CPR ish) to try to blow it out. The Dr attached this long tube and cranked up the vacuum and tried to suck it out. The Dr got this little hooky thing (that actually looked like a candy dipper) and tried to snag it. No luck.
We were sent home with the instructions that an ENT would call us and we'd have to go from there, but there wasn't a chance of her aspirating on it b/c it was totally lodged and wasn't moving whatsoever.
About the time we got home, the ENT called and told us he'd meet us Saturday morning at 10.

I think that if I'd taken a video of the ENT taking the kernel out of her nose it would have been a great PSA for ANY child that ever considered sticking something in THEIR nose. It was terrible. There was crying and screaming, and there was the nice Australian doctor being kicked in his balls (Yes, it happened)...but he got the kernel out. He also checked her other nostril and ears to make sure we were clear..and we are.

Madelyn tells us she's NEVER putting anything in her nose again.



I REALLY hope that this Friday is boring and uneventful!

2 comments:

Dianna Gilliam said...

so far, so good but the weather outside is frightful! Hopefully Madelyn's misadventures will continue to leave her relatively unscathed as she sure loves to flirt with possible disasters! You will have some great stories to tell her when she grows up and wonders why her children do the things they will do!

Aaron and Melissa said...

HAHAHA!!! Been there... I mean me-- not my kids :) Glad to hear she's ok!! And still laughing about her kicking the doc!!!!