Monday, August 9, 2010

Turning in the key...

I'm not really sure how many people read this blog, cept for my Mom...so maybe it's just a little blog fodder to get out of my brain.
Last Monday..one week ago today:
it was week two of my self-imposed 'vacation' since Mom was still recovery from knee surgery and my sister-in-law was unavailable to watch the kids. I got a call from Dad that Mom had had some set backs and I called Aaron at work..frantic...worried...spastic. I called my best friend Heather too so she could talk me down, and she did, Bless her Heart. In the middle of talking to Heather, Aaron beeped in and said he was coming home.
Once he got home we had a family meeting...in the pool where he said "I have the perfect solution for all this....you quit your job and stay home".
I was dumb-struck.
Me...quit? I mean sure..that's what I wanted to do..but I didn't think I could. Monetary issues, you know...
Me...quit? I wasn't sure I could, I've had some sort of job (at least part time) since I was 14...Holy Buckets...that's 13 years in the work field!
Then I thought about it...and I thought about how I was seeing things with Peter that I didn't remember with Madelyn. I wondered if it was just my faulty brain..and I realized..I didn't remember the things with Madelyn b/c I wasn't here for it. I was working.
And the decision was easy to make after that.
An email was sent, I found out I didn't even need to go in for two last weeks, I went in Thursday to clean out my office, say my goodbyes (although I hope they are more like see you laters b/c I hope I'll still have my friends), and turn in my key...
I'm still a little numb. A little sad (it really was hard to leave)...but my heart is full. Full of love for my kids who are now even more the center of my universe!
And full of a renewed love for my husband...who was the one who sacrifices his time with the kids and works...so I don't have to.

2 comments:

Aaron and Melissa said...

That's awesome!!! YAY for you!!!! Be a SAHM is the most rewarding thing ever!!! And now maybe you can come over to play :) I hope your mom recovers quickly. She is really going to miss the time with your sweet babies! But, you're where you need to be! I'm happy for you!!!!

And btw-- your mom is not the only one that reads your blog :)

Dianna Gilliam said...

Although Nan-Nan has enjoyed taking care of Madelyn and Peter all this time, I am thrilled that you won't miss so many of the 'firsts' with Peter that you missed with the princess! I am glad Aaron is the one who brought up the subject and had thought things through monetarily as well.Of course now you know as soon as I am through with rehab I really have to finish the houseporjects and have no excuses left there!

What I WILL NOT miss is the getting up at 5:30 on the days you worked!I am sure the babies will be happy with just mamma taking care of them as well!

Love you all too much and it looks like something good is coming out of this awful knee business!