Thursday, February 21, 2008

Look in the index under C...

I've read (or am reading) What to Expect When You are Expecting, The Mayo Clinic's Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy, The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy, The Girlfriend's Guide to Surviving the First Year, and countless Parenting/Baby magazines and so far I haven't found an article entitled "how to obtain a favorable cervix".
Here's the deal-at my job, I'm the only one that does my "job". So at my appt today I asked the doctor about a possible induction-yes for convenience sake. I felt kinda selfish asking, and honestly I know that Little Miss is on her OWN timeline, but I'd really like to give them here at work a straight "THIS is when you need to have co-worker A here to fill in for me for 6 weeks" instead of a labored (literally) call in the middle of the night telling my manager "it's time". The Doctor was very nice about it. She said that "if your cervix is favorable, no problem (but no earlier than 39 weeks)"-unfortunately we won't have an idea about that until I'm at least 35 weeks and they start doing actual *shudders* exams again. Furthermore, "favorable" means dilated at least 1-2cms. Also, Dr. pointed out, since I'm a first time Momma chances are (thanks johnny mathis) it WON"T be favorable, friendly, or even happy to be a part of my anatomy at that point.
Guess it boils down to if I'm able to get an induction date and give that to work, you all will know too.
Dr was on the list of "not highly recommended" from a friend of mine, but I really liked her. She was very to the point, very this is what we CAN possibly do, and this is what we can't do.
Let's see...oh, my blood pressure and pee are still "great". Little Miss had a heart rate of 148, and as best as the Dr can guess is head down (that's a good thing). At the 3d sono a couple weeks ago she was head down, and at this point she's running out of room to flip. So where Dr. said it "could" happen that she goes breech, it's unlikely at this point. I kinda already knew w/out the sono or the Dr that she was head down b/c she gets the hiccups everyday before lunch, and they are always very low.
So that's the update for now. Where the weather forecast has snow and sleet, the Suzy forecast is recording extreme hormonal highs and lows (which vary w/out warning) and increasing amount of anxiety and stress.
Next week we've got a "Baby-Prep" class..aka "how NOT to kill your newborn in the first 2 weeks of it's life", I hope we pass.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

There are a few tips for becoming "favorable," which I tried in desperation because I didn't dilate a bit until I was in labor (in fact, I wasn't 1-2 cm until I'd been having contractions for 12 hours). It may be a little TMI to discuss them on the blog, so give me a call and I'll fill you in:)

By the way, we found the "Baby Prep" class way more helpful than the childbirth prep. The childbirth part kind of takes care of itself, but taking care of a baby is definitely a learned skill...

Aaron and Melissa said...

I didn't have any problems with having a 'favorable' cervix! I was surprised to have my first baby at 36 weeks... and then with one every yr after, I have just never had that issue... so good luck with that!! The classes, in my opinion, were all worthless- except that sometimes they make the hubby give you a massage :) Have fun!!! And I can't wait to see her! We will hopefully be living down there before she's born!

Cindi and the Old Testament said...

Give me a call! I have some things that will help you !

Unknown said...

Wow it sounds like your doing all that fun new mom stuff. Enjoy planing while you can cause once you have her its all in her hands pretty much forever after that. :o) I did classes too the one I would totally recommend is the breast feeding one (if your going to do that) the rest were pointless. Well it sounds like your enjoying it all! thats great! talk to you later sweetie!